Roland Park Magnet IB School
Dress Code and Grooming Policy
Background Information: Roland Park Magnet has adopted a mandatory school uniform policy for all our students. This policy was instituted based on research that has shown improvement in discipline, time on task, decrease in tardies, and overall improvement in respect for oneself and others. It also has served as a safety measure in quickly identifying a Roland Park student.
- RP has a mandatory school uniform policy.
- Shoes shall be worn and be securely fastened to the feet and have a low heel height. Footwear must be suitable for outdoor physical education classes.
- Clothing that exposes the entire shoulder, tube tops, spaghetti straps, or similar type clothing may be worn only with a blouse or shirt. Clothing exposing the torso or the midriff, either front, back or sides shall not be worn.
Underwear may not be visible. Clothing shall not expose the mid-chest area.
- Hair shall be clean and neatly groomed. The general appearance of students should reflect neatness and good personal hygiene.
- Head coverings shall not be worn in the building unless required for religious observance or health related reasons.
- Mini-skirts, mini-dresses and short shorts are not permitted. Hemlines shall be no shorter than fingertip length.
- All pants and shorts shall be secured at the waist.
- Garments and/or jewelry which display or suggest sexual, vulgar, drug, gang, weapons, or alcohol-related wording or graphics, or which provoke or may tend to provoke violence or disruption in the school shall not be worn.
- Leggings are permitted in school colors only.
- We encourage students to wear winter clothing in school colors; however, outerwear can be of any color.
The mandatory student uniform consists of the following:
- Solid white, red or navy top with a collar. (Knit pullover shirt, blouse, and button-up shirt or turtleneck shirt.)
- Solid navy or khaki bottom. (Shorts, long pants, skirt, or jumper)
- No athletic shorts or items with sports logos.
- Students are permitted to wear a school-sponsored T-shirt on Fridays or specially designated days.
- Shoes shall be secured to the feet and have a low heel height. Footwear must be suitable for going up and down stairs as well as physical education.
- A student wears a uniform of a nationally recognized youth organization such as Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, or Girl Scouts on regular meeting days.
- A student’s doctor sends script to school nurse stating that student must alter clothing or shoes for medical reason for a fixed amount of time. Assistive devices such as crutches may not be utilized at school without a doctor’s note.
- The school will use positive reinforcement measures to encourage full compliance with the uniform policy.
No student shall be denied attendance at school nor otherwise penalized for failure to wear clothing that complies with the uniform policy if such failure is due to financial hardship. An application procedure has been established to assist families in need through our PTSA and school Social Worker. A clothing closet is also available providing free uniform clothing to any student in need of assistance.
Polos with the IB/School emblem can be ordered through Land’s End.
Polos with the IB/School emblem are NOT required.
Spirit Shirts are OPTIONAL and can be worn on Fridays.