In addition to the After School Clubs organized by the PTSA, Roland Park K-8 offers several other extra-curricular activities.
PYP Strings & Music Ensembles
These ensembles rehearse once a week before or after school and are open to students in grades 3-5. There is no cost to participate, and auditions are held at the beginning of the school year; Mr. LD and Mr. Vans Evers send information out to all parents of 3rd-5th grade students with these details. Ensembles typically perform two after-school concerts for parents each year, and also perform at various school events like Peace Day.
- Chorus = Led by our music teacher, Mr. LD; rehearses before school once a week
- Mallets = Led by our music teacher, Mr. LD; rehearses before school once a week
- Violin Ensemble = Led by our strings teacher, Mr. Vans Evers; practices after school once a week (typically Mondays)
- World Drumming = Led by our music teacher, Mr. LD; rehearses before school once a week
- Early Fall: Basketball (Boys & Girls)
- Mid-Fall: Volleyball (Boys & Girls)
- Late Fall: Track (Boys & Girls)
- Winter: Soccer (Boys & Girls)
- Spring: Flag Football (Boys & Girls)
- Odyssey of the Mind = Odyssey of the Mind is a creative problem-solving program that challenges students to work together to solve a problem and present their solutions during regional, state, and international competitions. Odyssey starts in September, and students meet once or twice a week before or after school, culminating in the regional competition in February. Odyssey has three divisions broken up by grade level: K-2nd, 3rd-5th, and 6th-8th; RP teams are formed based on amount of interest and availability of volunteer coaches. Learn more about the program here; parents are emailed further details at the beginning of the school year.
- School Musical = Each year, led by RP science teacher Mrs. Steinfeld, our school produces a musical. Open to all students K-8, auditions are held in August/September. Rehearsals begin in September once a week after school; in the spring, rehearsals are extended and rehearsal times are added before and after school leading up to the show. The musical has multiple performances in April, both during the school day and in the evening. Parents are emailed further details at the beginning of the school year.